How does a chocoholic celebrate Cheese Day? It may seem like an odd couple, but cheese can actually be a delicious accompaniment to chocolate.
Way. If you find yourself feeling hungry and adventurous, give it a try!
The basics of a Chocolate and Cheese Tasting:
- Smell the cheese chunk and chocolate before sampling.
- When tasting a pair, eat the cheese followed by the chocolate.
- Eat small pieces of each, the cheese being double the size of the chocolate.
- Take time to allow flavors to melt in your mouth.
- Dark chocolate, being less sweet, tends to pair with aged, nutty, or pungent cheeses. I find the dark chocolate to be most versatile.
- Typically, more complex chocolates pair best with more dimensional cheeses.
- Milk chocolate tends to go better with milk based, buttery, or soft cheeses.
- Experiment with chocolates with texture and multiple flavors. (Nuts, caramel, coffee beans, fruit, spices, toffee, etc.)
Of course, all of these thoughts are just suggestions. The combinations aren’t an absolute science, however you’ll find that some flavors naturally blend well together. At the end of the day, it’s all about your palate.
Dark Chocolate– pair with Blue Cheese, Goat Cheese, wine or beer washed cheese, Aged Parmesan, Aged Cheddar, Aged Gouda, Mascarpone
Milk Chocolate – goes with Riccotta, Brie, Robiola, and goat/cow milk cheeses.
White Chocolate – try with mild cheeses, like Colby or Goat Cheese.
Chocolate with Nuts or Dried Fruit– pairs well with aged cheeses, semi-soft cheeses (like Brie), Aged Jack Cheese, Gruyere
Spicy & Chili Chocolate– pairs nicely with Aged Sharp Cheeses
Chocolate Caramels– their sweetness will round off with a salty cheese, such as Romano.
If you want to take things a step further, try these luxurious recipes.
Baked Gouda and Dark Chocolate
Recipe by Wine & Glue
Bittersweet Chocolate Glazed Brandied Cherry Brie Cake
Recipe by Wisconsin Cheese
Melted Chocolate, Hazelnut, and Brie Tarts
Recipe by Dairy Goodness
Chocolate Covered Goat Cheese Truffles
Recipe by Good Dinner Mom
White Chocolate Macaroni and Cheese!
Recipe by Popsugar
Have you ever tried chocolate and cheese together? I’d love to hear about your pairing experience- good or bad!